Good Health Long Life

Good Health Long Life

Monday, January 17, 2011

Remember When You Could Remember?

Remember when you could remember? Vaguely. Twice in one day I found myself standing in the pantry with absolutely no idea what I was looking for. I usually (as this has become commonplace) wait a few seconds and voila! I remember. Oh yes, sugar! Strangely enough I have never forgotten when I went there for potato chips. Go figure.   The other day I spent literally hours trying to recall the word “resonate”. A simple word I must have learned to spell and define in the sixth grade, and subsequently used countless times, now escaped my grasp. I imagined my once well formed fully functioning brain to now be a lukewarm pulsating pile of goo. I willed the goo to work for me. I could almost form the word but not quite and then suddenly the goo began to bubble and gel and finally “resonate” formed on my lips. That’s it! Now why did I need it?

I see now why some have renamed menopause, “mentalpause”. How appropriate. I find this particular aspect of the transition the most challenging, though I am no fan of wobbly thighs either. At times I refer to the change as “meanopaws”. For instance, when my husband neglected to cover an item in the microwave prior to heating it and I threatened to shove him in there after it. Maybe mentalpause will help me forget my meanopaws moments.
                                                         ********************

No comments:

Post a Comment